A few months ago, my friend Heather had these delicious looking leftovers for lunch. She shared her recipe, and this is my interpretation:
Oh, and did I mention this is really healthy? Whole grain, peppers, protein, etc.
- 1 lb ground meat (I used elk tonight, but I have used beef, and I am sure turkey would be great too)
- 1 bag shredded cabbage (I use the kind for cole slaw)
- 1 can sour kraut
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- olive oil
- medium pot
- large skillet
- cutting board
- wooden spoon
- Combine water and rice in pot. Bring to boil. Turn heat down to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Chop onion and peppers.
- Sprinkle olive oil into skillet and warm over medium heat. Add onions.
- Cook down until they are slightly brown.
- Add meat to skillet and brown.
- Add peppers, sour kraut, and cabbage. Stir until the cabbage is completely wilted.